Re: Fonts and other arguable issues

Subject: Re: Fonts and other arguable issues
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 1996 10:32:09 -0500

><snip>

>We often encounter clients who want us to use an inappropriate tool,
>for
>example. Clients often insist that they want us to use Word, even
>though
>Word's long-document characteristics are so primitive that it will
>double
>our time, cost and trouble. And then they often balk when we try to
>push
>Word to its limits to accomodate the needs of the long documents. There
>are
>sometimes internal style conventions that work fine for memos, but make
>long
>documents unreadable.

>Tim Altom
>Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
>317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)
>FrameMaker support ForeHelp support

>Makers of DuoFrame, giving you online help and paper
>documentation from a single parent FrameMaker document.

Your choice of expanding a dialog on the use of Microsoft's fonts to a
deriding of Microsoft Word as a composition tool (as you labeled as
inappropriate and primitive and implied as not cost effective and
troublesome) couldn't possibly be influenced by the fact that your
company has a large stake in the success of FrameMaker? Does it?

I like FrameMaker quite a bit and have used it on a few projects.
However, it also has drawbacks. I found it slow, cumbersome, and
non-intuitive. Getting things to print as the appear on screen
(especially alignment of headers and footers) wasn't all that simple. I
also had many crashes (often freezing my entire system) when I
reoriented text/graphics on the master page.

Mike Wing

_/
_/ Michael Wing
_/ Principal Technical Writer
_/ Jupiter Customization and Educational Services
_/ Intergraph Corporation
_/ 730-7250
_/ mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com
_/