Re: Word to Frame conversions

Subject: Re: Word to Frame conversions
From: Randy Grandle <randy -dot- grandle -at- CORP -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 19:10:43 GMT

Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net> writes:

>I assume from Randy's signature that he works on a UNIX box <grin>. I've
>had the same experience with Frame on my Mac. If I spend an hour setting
>up a good Frame template -using the same style tags- as the Word doc, I
>can crank through the conversions pretty smoothly.

As a current employee of Sun Microsystems Inc., I use a "UNIX box" at
the office and a PC at home. However, in previous jobs I have used Macs
as well as UNIX boxes and PCs. I have worked on many projects where we
had to convert various versions of Word to Word, Frame to Frame, and
Word to Frame accross hardware platforms (PC to Mac, Mac to PC, DOS to
UNIX, MAC to UNIX, vice versa, so forth, and so on).

The conversion process is dependant on the versions of the source and
target applications as well as the source and target platforms.

When well planned and properly implemented, the conversion process can
go quite smoothly. However, when converting existing documents there is
usually a lot of cleanup required. Macros can be a great help to
automate much of the cleanup. For example, if converting bulleted
paragraphs from Mac Word 5.x to Frame, you must globally strip all of
the bullet symbols and tabs for conversion to bulleted paragraph
formats in Frame. Macro are ideal for handling global changes like
this.

Randy Grandle