Re: list posting formats

Subject: Re: list posting formats
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 08:48:00 -0600

On the other hand, the size of an average digest file is somewhat
cumbersome. AOL cannot download large files as mail messages, so it
converts them to text-only files. That wouldn't be a problem, except
AOL can't open the whole file either. I have to open the file with
MS Word, and I wind up with lots of little squares, control
characters, etc.

There's a lot of shareware/freeware text editors which don't have the 32K
limit that AOL's editor has. Try using one of those instead. (Alpha, for
example, is fine and fast for the Mac platform.)

In the same vein, I don't get much choice about whether I can read
MIME messages or not. Everything gets dumped into ASCII when I
download the digest. I'm a novice on this matter, so could someone
tell me if it's possible to convert this text back to MIME format?

Certainly. Look in the AOL libraries for a program called "Mpack" (or
"Munpack"). I use it myself. The idea is that you need to save the MIME-
encoded data as a text file, then feed it to Mpack and it will decode it for
you. (I keep aliases of it, DeHQX, and uuUndo on my desktop, so I can drop
the encoded fim and get them decoded quickly.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224