Spacing Between Sentence

Subject: Spacing Between Sentence
From: Carson Associates <WECARSON -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 16:49:18 -0400

Hi all -

Thought I'd put my nickel's worth in. I think that double spacing after a
period is a choice. In e-mails, I'm much more likely to single space after a
period because I never know how my message will come across to the reader
anyway, and I don't have unlimited space. I think the space issue holds true
with the newspaper articles as well. And, please remember that those articles
are fully justified, so there's some really weird spacing in them sometimes
anyway.

As for manuals or books, I have to say I'm a proponent of the double space.
Simply because a double space does give the reader a break from what can be
long strings of prose rather than short snippets of information. Also, if
for instance, you write an abbreviation in the middle of a sentence, the
reader may not realize that the sentence isn't stopping and stumble slightly.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's going to be a huge stumbling block,
but it would definitely break the flow of information.

Gwen from wecarson -at- aol -dot- com
Not to be confused with my boss, my company, or any other being. :)