Space cadets, all.

Subject: Space cadets, all.
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 15:33:05 -0800

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996 16:19:00 -0400, eilrh -at- EXCHANGE -dot- WCC -dot- LUCENT -dot- COM
wrote:

>But let's just take a step back for a minute, and ask ourselves: Who
>really cares?

Amen, brother!

<soapbox>
I will likely always double-space at the end of a sentence. It's a
difficult habit to break. When I'm typing, it better follows my train
of thought (a longer, more "solid" pause after a sentence). When I'm
reading back my own stuff, double-spaced sentences "look" better to me.

However, I honestly can't say that I've EVER noticed single- versus
double-spaced sentence enders when reading someone else's work.

Since I'm right now specifically checking, I notice that 'eilrh'
(should put your name in your .sig or something, bud -- 'eilrh' seems
overly formal :) singles-spaces. Without having looked though, I never
noticed which way he/she/it ended a sentence.

Likewise with EVERY OTHER POST I've ever read in this list -- I don't
notice one way or the other, and it's never affected my ability to read
them.

So. Single- or double-space all YOU want -- as 'eilrh' so eloquently
put it, "Who really cares?" I will continue to do it the way it's most
comfortable for me. If a specific job or employer requires I do it
differently, I'll do so -- I'm not so anal about such an insignificant
difference that I'll turn down a job or get in a big tizzy over it.

This has got to be the highest-trafficked thread I've ever seen in this
list. That something as small as a single ASCII 32 character could
spawn so much heartfelt opinion (some might use "posturing") is truly
astounding.

To use a well-worn cliche, can we all just agree to disagree on this,
and let it go already? If not, then would someone PLEASE explain to me
how, in the grand scheme of language and writing things, it makes such
a difference as to get everyone so worked up?

Thanks.
</soapbox>

Your friend and mine,
Matt