Re: Coax/Twinax vs. Coaxial/Twinaxial

Subject: Re: Coax/Twinax vs. Coaxial/Twinaxial
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 17:03:10 -0700

Beryl Doane asks:
[snip]
>When is it appropriate to use the short form (coax, twinax) versus the long
>form (coaxial, twinaxial)? I've seen them both ways, even in the same
>bullted list.

>To connect a 3600 printer directly to an IBM mainframe, you need:
>o a coax adapter card.
>o a coaxial cable equivalent to IBM part number #######.

Beryl,

I'd first like to know where, in the scope of the product, these words
stand. Are they used maybe three times in the installation and trouble-
shooting sections or are they central to the product and mentioned three
or four times per page?

Then I'd like to know who makes up the target audience for the book.
Are they professionals who deal with cable all the time, installation
technicians and the like, or average, non-hardware-oriented humans
trying to hook up a printer to their home computer?

Then I'd decide. If we're talking to Joe Average trying to hook up
the printer and you only use the terms four times in the entire book,
use the long form. If we're talking to the hardware geek and you use the
terms on every page in the book and you're *sure* that the audience is
OK with the short form (or prefers the short form and uses it all the
time), go with the short form -- *but* state your intentions to use
the short form in the preface.

From your example, I'm betting that you'll end up using the short form.
Whatever you choose, pick one and stick with it (but I don't think I
needed to tell you that <g>).

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com
-- The _Guide_ is definitive.