Re: Re : Line text length

Subject: Re: Re : Line text length
From: "Dennis Hays/The Burden Lake Group, Ltd." <dlhays -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 17:17:05 -0400

As regards to line length--here's a post to this newsgroup I sent on January
25th:

One formula which Frank Romano uses in his book "Desktop Typography with
QuarkXPress is FONT SIZEx2=line length in picas. So 9 point type times 2 is
18. 18 picas or 3 inches. (Another formula is lower case alphabet x 1.5) All
this, of course depends on the mass of the type. Usually a line with 55 or
60 characters (9 to 10 words) provides optimum readability.

Hope this helps

Dennis Hays

>DAVID IBBETSON wrote:

>> A "rule" that's been quoted at me recently is that column width should be
about
>> 1 1/2 alphabets.

>(which I understand as 26 + 13 = 39 characters)

>While BRUCE BYFIELD wrote :

>> An alternate practice I've heard is that no line should be longer about
>> 52 characters and spaces long, regardless of font size.

>Even the 52 char. rule is much narrower than the 5 in. rule.
>The table below gives the length of a line according to font size
>(text printed in lower case Times New Roman) :
>Size Length (cm)
> 39 char. 52 char.
>10 6.5 8.5
>12 7.5 10
>14 8.5 11.5
>16 10 13.5
>Does anyone practice one of these rules ?
>--
>Frédéric Wronecki
>France Télécom, Paris, France
>mailto:frederic -dot- wronecki -at- wanadoo -dot- fr

>To send a message about technical communication to 2500+ list readers,
>E-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send administrative commands
> ALL other questions or problems concerning the list
> should go to the listowner, Eric Ray, at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-

Dennis Hays\The Burden Lake Group, Ltd.
Voice: 518/477-6388 Fax: 518/477-5006
eMail: dlhays -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com
"God doesn't want you to be certain.
That's why He gave you a brain."