Note Taking and Ultima Donnas

Subject: Note Taking and Ultima Donnas
From: Amy Brown <AMYB -at- IPRAX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 14:50:05 -0500

I have a great job:

In my office, I gladly make coffee since I'm one of the few who drinks it.
No one has asked me to do so. If they did, I would worry, because I'm
the new _girl_ on the block.

In my office, I gladly take notes in meetings. So does everyone else. No
one has designated me, as the only tech writer and one of two women
on the software development team, as a note taker. Had my supervisors
suggested I be the record keeper, it would have made some sense to me
since I have to write the specs, but it still would have worried me,
because I'm the new _girl_ on the block.

There may be some prima-donna attitude involved in the distaste for
note-taking exhibited in the latest posting to the list (I certainly have it at
times), but there's also a gender issue which I don't think we can afford
to ignore. Ultimately, what happens when anyone, woman or man, balks
at taking notes? They end up on the unemployment line. But why is a
_woman_ balking at taking notes? Maybe not because she's a prima
donna, but because she doesn't want to be the ultima donna either.

Call me Mimi

Amy Brown
amyb -at- iprax -dot- com