Note Taking

Subject: Note Taking
From: Friedlander_Tori <torif -at- KSL -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 08:39:46 EST

>The bottom line is this...anyone in an organization might be called
>upon to perform some task that might seem beneath them. When I go to
>pour myself a cup of coffee and the pot is empty, I make another pot
>even though THAT'S NOT MY JOB. When the photocopier runs out of
paper, >I reload it, even thought THAT'S NOT MY JOB. When someone
else's >project is about to be late, and I'm asked to interrupt my
work to >help, I do it even though THAT'S NOT MY JOB.

Ok, let's break this down:
making coffee ... five minutes, ten if you haven't finished
the first cup of the day yet.

reloading the copier ... five minutes, ten if you drop the
paper instead of putting it in the tray

someone else's project is about to be late ... that's <usually>
a one-time courtesy to a co-worker

Not comparable situations, IMHO.

I suspect that being required to take notes at these meetings, spend
time transcribing them, and distribute the results will take
considerably more effort ... yes, even into several hours.

I agree with those who have said that it isn't the technical writer's
responsibility to play secretary at the meeting. It seems to me that
the technical writer is invited to attend such meetings for a reason
... probably involved with enhancing the documentation. Focusing on
that aspect of it is much more important. (And that way, when you
disagree, you get to be involved in the rousing discussion rather than
have to sit passively on the sidelines putting down what everyone else
is talking about.)

And when the meeting is over, I suspect that the tech writer in
question probably has 80 or 100 things that have to be done almost
immediately which would more directly benefit the documentation ... as
opposed to wasting time preparing the minutes for the rest of the
group.

SOmeone mentioned copying handwritten notes and distributing them ...
not guaranteeing completeness or even legibility. Good idea. The tech
writer is there for his/her own purpose ... the notes should reflect
that. And if the others don't like it, well hey, they could always
buy themselves a pen and take a shot at it themselves. Whoa, radical
concept, huh?

Tori Friedlander
torif -at- ksl -dot- co -dot- il