Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 25 Jul 1996 to 26 Jul 1996

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 25 Jul 1996 to 26 Jul 1996
From: "Margaret L. FalerSweany" <mfsweany -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 01:22:59 -0400

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 08:18:11 -0500
From: Carla Martinek <carlam -at- MINERVA -dot- ODESTA -dot- COM>
Subject: Re: MS degree programs

Michigan Technological University, in Houghton, Michigan, has a Masters
program in Rhetoric and Technical Communication. I believe they may even
have a doctorate program, but don't quote me on that.

Yes, MTU offers a Ph.D. It's an interdisciplinary program so it's difficult to encapsulate what graduate students are doing, but there's a lot of computers and literacy, multimedia; technical communication, environmental rhetoric, and other "technical editing/writing" opportunities. It's not just a hack shop. There's a strong interest in the merging of theory and practice and Masters candidates especially are encourage to do internships to get hands on experience. And several of our grad students are working on technical writing/documentation projects for the university rather than teaching. Funding is pretty good with living expenses low (we bought our house for about 1/3 of what it would have cost elsewhere; we still question the bills in restaurants because they seem too low.)

When I moved here for the Ph.D. program, I thought I'd hate the winters; but where else can the sky be blue and it's snowing (lake effect). The snow's so fluffy one often just sweeps it off the sidewalks; it doesn't get too cold--even Californians and Floridians survive!

The main university number is 906-487-1885. The number to call for the Masters and Ph.D. Program information is 906-487-2381. The Graduate Director is Dr. Diane Shoos and the program's secretary is Marjorie Lindley. Either one would send information.

Margaret L. FalerSweany
Rhetoric and Technical Communication
Humanities--WAHC 319
Michigan Technological University