Re[2]: Web types

Subject: Re[2]: Web types
From: ROBERT SIDMAN <ROBERT_SIDMAN -at- FMSO -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 10:03:53 -0400

>Tracy said:
>> I consider the "techie" guy in Systems Design to be the Webmaster.

>How about 'webadmin', analogous to 'sysadmin' for systems administrator?

>For the other job, 'web author' doesn't sound right to me. Authors
>supply content. The job described by Bev and LaVonna seems to be to
>take content, who ever it's written by, and 'weberise' it.

>Isn't it something like the job of the editor of a small local newspaper?
>Some writing, some rewriting, some layout, some production, some decisions
>about presentation.

Seeing as friends LaVonna and Bev mentioned me, this is my first chance to
put in my $.02.

We've tried to separate functions/responsibilities. Our webmaster (who is
also my team leader) is a hightekky type, concerned mostly with the mechanics
of keeping the web and servers up. But he is also working on a series of
pages for a new client, but that's a long, involved, technically complex
series of pages. My personal feeling, having problems changing lightbulbs, is
better him than me.

I, on the other hand, write, edit and design for 2 internets and one
intranet. I get material that ranges from pretty good to one step short of
execrable. To make this copy look physically inviting, interesting to read,
etc., is enough. If the words are not right, I've failed. If you can not get
through the copy easily, if the copy is not attractive, I've failed again and
you have no reason to use us. And that's the whole reason for letting me
write, edit and design.

I'm sometimes an author, yes, and more often the editor, just like on small
newspapers (my webmaster/team leader would be executive editor). There's
nothing wrong with that. Having started in journalism 40 years ago, I like
it.

Bob
<robert_sidman -at- fmso -dot- navy -dot- mil>