Re: Online vs. Hardcopy documentation

Subject: Re: Online vs. Hardcopy documentation
From: "Bernard A. McCann" <bi975 -at- FREENET -dot- CARLETON -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 15:22:32 GMT

Just a few comments.

"Wing, Michael J" (mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com) writes:

> I would also like to add the time and effort spent in writing, editing,
> producing, and distributing updates to paper documents.

It escapes me for the moment why it doesn't take just as much time and
effort to do this with on-line documents?

> The updates can be sent to >
customers electronically and directly replace their existing >
documentation. No more addendum pages, change pages, and errata sheets. >

Perhaps there should be some compromise, hard-copy documentation with
electronic updates, etc?

> True, the on-line documents don't provide the same
artistic qualities > when printed when compared to documents formatted for
print.

"...artistic qualities..." Do you mean communication skills and everything
that is implied by that (Please see my signature block).

>As far as > sitting back with the document in my lap, I guess I'll
have to use a >>laptop or a printout.

Ah, so there will still be printouts! Allow me a moment to imagine your
bookshelves in a years time, piled high with printouts. :D

Bernie.

--
_/ "If language is not correct, then what is
_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ said...is not what is meant; if what is