Suggestions for How to Survey

Subject: Suggestions for How to Survey
From: Kelly Leydon <kelly -dot- leydon -at- AMP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 11:29:07 -0400

Fellow techwriters,

Help, my boss has asked for a draft version of a survey to be done ASAP and
I am suffering from the dreaded "empty coconut" syndrome. I can't think of
any more survey questions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the situation:

We write and publish almost all of the documentation related to the engineering
software that we develop for our internal customers. This includes user guides,
quick reference guides, white papers, newsletters, brochures, software release
notes, installation documents, etc.

We need to survey the users of these documents to find out:
- if these documents are meeting their needs
- if the format of these documents is clear and helpful
- if these documents are written clearly and concisely
- ways we can improve these documents

If anyone has recently surveyed their users and wouldn't mind sharing some
thoughts or suggested questions your assistance would be a blessing to me.

Send ideas directly to me or through the list.

Thanks in advance.

Kelly