Re: Using Master Documents - Summary of Responses

Subject: Re: Using Master Documents - Summary of Responses
From: Beryl Doane <BDoane -at- ENGPO -dot- MSMAILGW -dot- INTERMEC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 10:06:00 PDT

Mike Norton wrote:

* Several responses advised dividing the information
into one file per chapter and generate ToCs and indexes
on a chapter by chapter basis. You then manually
combine your ToCs and indexes.

You can also use RD fields to create *one* TOC and Index for several files,
without having to manually combine anything. I regularly produce 300+ page
manuals using this method with almost no problems. I even divide large
chapters into several files (due to file size) and succesfully generate
accurate TOCs and Indexes.

The problems I have had are more related to Word bugs than to this method.
Anyone know what the MS product support euphanism "your file is corrupted"
really means?

If you want more information on how to use field codes to do this, send me
email.

Beryl Doane
Senior Technical Writer
Intermec Corporation