Re: Naming conventions

Subject: Re: Naming conventions
From: "Parks, Beverly L." <parksb -at- HUACHUCA-EMH7 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 07:48:00 MST

----------
Martyn Thirlway[SMTP:thirlwaym -at- USOFT -dot- NL] wrote--
>>Some like dialog and window, but what about "message boxes" - are they
windows too?<<

Modals, message boxes, and input boxes are all types of dialog boxes.
Unless the target audience is all programmers or your intent is to
confuse, I'd use "dialog box" for all three. (This is Visual Basic
terminology, YMMV)

>>Just to start another discussion, should one say that a window "is
displayed", "appears", "will be displayed", or what? Personally, I think
the
future tense should not be used, and that "appears" has a rather magical
ring about it.<<

I use "opens". It fits with both the window and box metaphors.

Bev Parks
parksb -at- huachuca-emh7 -dot- army -dot- mil