Re: Certification

Subject: Re: Certification
From: Frank -dot- Harper -at- ES -dot- ATL -dot- SITA -dot- INT
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 13:23:46 -0500

Micheel Wing makes some excellent points.

Certification will more likely help those of us who did not grow up in
the field. I am into my second career (first was military) and
continually run into the employer who views my military background as
not having any value. So I am probably more sensitive to
qualifications. A BA in Psych and MA in Counseling do not say much for
tech writing qualification.

In addition, I am a freelance contractor and continually ply the market
for new contracts. Certification in my case will open a few more doors.
As it is, I have established an excellent reputation in the Atlanta
market and have been able to maintain a fairly stable income for the
past six years.

Mark Hanagan (STC Region 3 Director) dropped me an e-mail to say that
STC has not made any decision about certification. I knew that and
should have made my comment more clear.

I am still in favor of some type of certification, whether it is by STC
or some other group. And I will still be in line for the first shot at
certification and hope that I am able to qualify.