Analysis

Subject: Analysis
From: Bill Bledsoe <bill -at- ENVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 22:08:50 -0500

Gang,

Here's a late Friday, on-topic post for you to ponder.

I am in a situation now that for the first time in my Tech Writing career,
my analysis skills are playing a major role in my success or failure. I
like it in a lot of regards, because my last employer viewed the technical
writer as little more than a glorified secretary in a lot of regards. In
particular, I had supervisors, and directors ask me why we had to do any
analysis of a situation, and then said that since we weren't educationally
prepared for this task, that we should leave it up to the analysts in the
department, and just write down what they said.

I am wondering, how many other folks out there have faced this same kind of
resistance from traditional, MIS grad-types who fear the technical
communicator is "treading" in their sacred territory when the Tech Comm
wants to simply interview the user or document consumer to find out how
they do their job (to set the goals and direction of their document of c
ourse!)

Any thoughts? (mandatory cookie reference inserted for search engines to
index here ;-} )

Cheers!
Bill Bledsoe
Envision Solutions
bill -at- envision -dot- com
or
intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com

"I'm out on a limb where the fun begins"
Adrian Belew/The Bears