How would you cite a site? & Midnight -Reply

Subject: How would you cite a site? & Midnight -Reply
From: David Hailey <FAHAILEY -at- WPO -dot- HASS -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:54:18 -0600

Hi Melissa and all,

I examined what you wrote and think I understand you.
Midnight is 12:00 P.M. according to all documentation guides
I have consulted. Noon is 12:00 M according to all of these
same guides. But, if you are saying that midnight has no
specific time, that it is generally the middle of the night,
that noon is simply lunch time, you are right in the
vernacular. Or are you saying that you will never have call
to make such distinctions? In that case, you may be right,
too. I have never had call to write 12:00 M, and if did,
I'm afraid my audience mightn't understand-- Even if I
were writing to professional writers.

In fact, I agree that 12:00 M might be very confusing.

Ah, well, so much for the _right_ way of doing things. Once
again, the _right_ way confuses those who do not have a copy
of _The Chicago Manual of Style_ or _Webster's Secretarial
Handbook_ next to the bed. I guess the right way is to
figure out what the audience needs and expects and give that
to them. 12:00 midnight? 12:00 noon? Makes sense to me.

Dave (Cogito Ergo Falsus Sum) Hailey
fahailey -at- wpo -dot- hass -dot- usu -dot- edu
Utah State University