Re: Help for a newbie

Subject: Re: Help for a newbie
From: Eric Haddock <eric -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:45:16 -0500

>What techniques do you use for
>proofreading, and ensuring that your material is the best it can be
>before handing it off?

I'm the only writer here so I have to rely on myself a great deal to
proofread for grammar and things of that nature. The engineers are chiefly
responsible for correcting factual errors since I'm not qualified to catch
them all.

Anyway, I write the manual (and do the illustration, graphic design,
layout, and typesetting--but that's another story) and after it has been
written, I put it aside and ignore it for about a week--or two if I have
that kind of time. After that time has passed, I can go back and look at the
text with a fresh eye and I can easily catch the errors that have creeped
in. If I were to read my own text the next day, I wouldn't notice a thing.
This time delay _really_ helps a lot. I see all kinds of things using this
method.

/`-_ Eric Haddock ------ http://www2.corenet.net/moonlion
{ }/ Technical writer
\ | Engage Networks, Inc. --- http://www.engagenet.com
\__*| Milwaukee, WI

"Writing is easy. All you have to do is cross out the wrong words."
-- Mark Twain