Re: input and output -Reply

Subject: Re: input and output -Reply
From: Beryl Doane <BDoane -at- ENGPO -dot- MSMAILGW -dot- INTERMEC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 10:31:00 PDT

The responses I have seen so far address input and output as common English
words. However, within the Electrical Engineering and electronics field,
they have very precise meaning. The nouns are not collectives within these

An AND gate has 2 or more inputs and one output. Each input is distinct. In
this case, a single input is one wire feeding an electric current into the
gate. The gate has one exit path for the current, the output.

Thus, for an AND gate, you would write:
When both inputs are high, the output is high. When one input is high and
the other is low, the output is low. When both inputs are low, the output is

Know your audience and choose the appropriate language for that audience.

Beryl Doane
Senior Technical Writer
Intermec Corporation
bdoane -at- intermec -dot- com

TECHWR-L List Information
To send a message about technical communication to 2500+ list readers,
E-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send administrative commands
ALL other questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray, at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-

Previous by Author: Lost mail
Next by Author: Cue Cards Question
Previous by Thread: input and output -Reply
Next by Thread: Re: input and output -Reply

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads