Re: Noon

Subject: Re: Noon
From: Susan Jones <suej -at- ANNAMAY -dot- BBN -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 07:49:25 +0200

------------------------------

Guys,

considering that it's only either Noon or Midnight for a split second of each
24 hour period, is it really worth all the consternation?

> >By the way. . . a professional puzzle. If you call evening
> >P.M., and you call the morning A.M., and you call midnight
> >P.M., what is noon?

> First, Midnight is *not* P.M., and anyone who says otherwise is just
> spoiling for a fight! ;{>}

> Seriously, neither Midnight nor Noon should have the AM/PM attachment. They
> are intended to follow "12 o'clock," and so complete the set of four -- 12
> midnight, A.M., 12 noon, P.M. Though if you insist on adding A.M. or P.M.
> to all times, regardless of correctness (why was I tempted to make that
> "irregardless?") noon can only logically have "M" attached to it, as it
> represents the "M" from both A.M. and P.M. It cannot be either before
> (ante) or after (post) itself.

__?__
/ ^ ^ \
( (o) (o) )
**oOOO***************OOOo**********************************************
Sue Jones
HP NSMD Boeblingen LP Lead

Phone: (+49)-7031-142426 Internet: suej -at- annamay -dot- bbn -dot- hp -dot- com
Fax: (+49)-7031-143263 or: susan_jones -at- bbn -dot- hp -dot- com
Telnet: 778-2426 Mailstop: EF30 G3
.oooO ( )
( ) ) / "Adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit"
\ ( (_/
\_)