Estimating a project's scope-initial questions.

Subject: Estimating a project's scope-initial questions.
From: Raymond Chenier <rchenier -at- SYNAPSE -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 08:53:30 -0400

I am reposting because of info below, I did receive one response so I don't
understand what transpired...
---------------
Can't tell server we're reading, Error 0.
(Article not posted.)
Warning -- server did not reply to quit, Connection reset by peer
If you have any questions, Please contact <news -at- news -dot- okstate -dot- edu>.
---------------
Original article follows

Hi all:

I have been asked to formulate a questionnaire to help in determining the
scope of project (e.g. time estimate). This is for pre-proposal preparation.
I have to follow this procedure - fax in questions; receive answers; prepare
proposal.

We know this project involves a number of highly technical UNIX based
software modules. Some are proprietary, some are public domain, and the
customer also wants suggestions for effective online training materials.

This is a first for me, and I get the impression I should ask for incredible
detail and that I will have to settle for what I get. I know it's not proper
to ask: "Well how many pages do you think this will be?" Only because, as a
fairly new TW, I now know that page count is irrelevant.

These questions are supposed to go to some people who know the technology
quite well, and I had a thought (for those who know me - I really did!)
about asking for approximate number of procedures to document. I am, of
course, calculating time for interviews, for familiarization of the
technology, writing & editing, usability testing, etc.

Any ideas along these lines would be greatly appreciated.
Raymond Chenier
ray -at- peac -dot- com
Technical Writer and Pubs Manager
Professional Engineering & Communication Inc.
Ottawa, Ontario