Re: User Interface Design

Subject: Re: User Interface Design
From: Jim Grey <jimgrey -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 10:23:00 EST

Karen Mayer wonders:
>I wonder how many of you software documenters are consulted in the user
>interface design process. Do you have a lot of input? Do you have any
>guidelines for what constitutes a good UI design? I've got some ideas for a
>better UI, but I haven't much training or education (self-inflicted or formal)
>in UI design. Can you recommend any books?

Get Alan Cooper's _About Face_. It's from IDG Books; I don't have it here
so I can't tell you the ISBN. It's a long but interesting read about user
interface design from the guy who designed Visual Basic.

We subscribe to User Interface Engineering's _Eye for Design_ newsletter; it
reports on and analyzes their usability testing of interface gizmos. We've
found this information valuable when trying to convince our programmers that
their designs need work.

As you become more knowledgable and can back up your assertions with facts
and data, you may be increasingly seen as "someone good to run the design
ideas by", and become the (unofficial) user-interface consultant.

Good luck!

Peace,
jim
--
jim grey |"Ain't nothin' better in the world, you know
jimgrey -at- iquest -dot- net|Than lyin' in the sun, listenin' to the radio!"