Acrobat Catalog, upper case and NT CD-ROM

Subject: Acrobat Catalog, upper case and NT CD-ROM
From: Alex Ragen <alex -at- CHECKPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 17:47:20 +0300

Here's a wacko problem I'm up against, and I wonder if anybody has a
solution. I have a feeling there is a very simple solution for this problem
whcih has so far evaded me.
Our company puts out a CD-ROM with our software and PDF files of the User
Guide. I would like to use Acrobat Catalog to generate a searchable index of
the 54 chapters of the User Guide. When I do this on my computer (Win95),
everything works just fine.
But WinNT has a little idiosyncracy: it doesn't like lower case file names
on CD-ROMs. So, before copying the files to the CD-ROM, I run a batch file
that changes all file names to upper case. Since WinNT doesn't care about
upper-case lower-case in file names (except for CD-ROMs), when Acrobat on
our cutomer's NT goes looking for the lower case file name of a file
(created in lower case by Catalog on my Win95 machine) and finds an upper
case name, it's okay. It works.
Alas, the index has to readable on Unix too, where the OS does think there
is a difference between INDEX and index. So, for our Unix customers, I have
to retain the lower case names. So I can keep our Unix customers happy, or
our NT customres happy, but not both.
Fine, you say, that's what they get for using NT, and I agree. But how can I
shine a little bit of light into their Bill Gates-plagued lives without
punishing my wise Unix customers?
Any help, suggestions, etc will be appreciated.
-- Alex