Re: Moderated Techwr-l List? (#153900)

Subject: Re: Moderated Techwr-l List? (#153900)
From: wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 08:52:46 MDT

22-AUG-1996 07:24:58.70

This post is the second I've seen suggesting that Tom is
preaching for censorship. In my mind, this insinuation is
not only unfair to Tom, who was suggesting a *choice* for both
audiences (those who like chat and those who don't), but it
reduces the term "censorship" to mean any type of control
over content, regardless of whether that control is justified
by the medium's focus. Tom was not asking that *this* list be
moderated; he's asking if another, more focused list should be
added. A choice between the two would not suppress anyone's
ability to discuss what they wish; it would merely offer a more
focused option for those who have the desire for such a venue.

Academic journals and popular magazines have similar restrictions
on content. You would no more send an article on gardening to *Guns
and Ammo* (or on AR-15s to *Handguns*) than you would post chat about your
manager's poor understanding of technical communication on a moderated list for
advanced desktop publishing. This is *not* censorship. It is the same process
used in publishing to address specific audience needs (as opposed to biases).

Let's be fair about such suggestions. His intent was not to suppress
communication but to enhance it--albeit on a different, more focused
and, as yet, nonexistent list.

Bill Burns
Assembly Training and Documentation Supervisor
WBURNS -at- MICRON -dot- COM