"Manuals?" "Bulletins?" "Guides?" What? -Reply

Subject: "Manuals?" "Bulletins?" "Guides?" What? -Reply
From: NANCY KAMINSKI <NKAMINS1 -at- FAIRVIEW -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 10:02:28 -0600

Eric Haddock asked what folks call the documentation they write.

I write hospital software documentation. Here's how we name them:

--A book for hospital employees (clerks, nurses, techs) which describes
how to use an application is a "XXX System Users Guide." This can
include tutorials.

--A book for the IS employees (programmers) detailing the application's
screens, fields, and so on is a "XXX System Reference Manual." In small
applications this is sometimes combined with the Users Guide as an
appendix.

--Documents for hospital employees describing how specific departments
use the application is named "XXX System Procedures."

We also have a few other types of docs, such as Business Rules (used
during the application design process) and Quick References ("cheat
sheets"). But just about everything we write falls into these three
categories.

Nancy Kaminski, Fairview Hospital and Healthcare, Mpls.