Question: graphic file naming

Subject: Question: graphic file naming
From: Redick Kimberly <redick_kimberly -at- PO -dot- GIS -dot- PRC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 11:44:21 U

Hi !

Anyone have a graphic naming technique they can lend me? Here's the scenario:

We are creating large manuals (700+ pages) in MS Word 6.0. They have many screen
captures (approx. 1 capture per 2 pages) that are saved from a UNIX system in
either gif or tif format and transfered to a PC.

To keep our text file sizes down, we do not save the captures within the text
file. The screen capture files are stored with the text files.

When we capture the screens from the UNIX system, we must name each screen
individually (within an 8 character limit).

Any suggestions on how to systematically assign names?

Note: We cannot name the screen captures by their figure number because those
numbers change as our writers develop the manuals.

Thanks,

Kim Redick
redick_kimberly -at- prc -dot- com