Re: Portfolios

Subject: Re: Portfolios
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 18:45:02 -0400

>A word of caution:
>Most of the material I create is proprietary. I can't just flash this stuff
>around. I've signed secrecy agreements with several clients, and I honour
>them.

Most of my contracts include a clause giving me at least 2 free copies of
the final product to use for professional marketing. One contract also
gave me a substantial discount for any additional copies I bought for 4
years---very handy when an interviewer rips off the copy of that lovely
100p 4-color doc you put in your portfolio.

Unfortunately, the best things I've done for my two major clients in the
last three years can't be used (in their final printed format) in my
portfolio. I couldn't even get permission to enter them in the STC Tech
Pubs competition <sniffle>. I -was- able to get permission to include
laser printouts of a couple of excerpts, edited to remove the proprietary
information. And I include contact information for the client on each
sample, so that inquirers can get more information from the copyright
owner.

LIFE1: Technical writing, editing and document design
MasterWork Consulting Services katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
Health info service mediref -at- mcls -dot- rochester -dot- lib -dot- ny -dot- us
LIFE2: Vocal chamber music PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com