Single-Sourcing with SGML

Subject: Single-Sourcing with SGML
From: Amy Brown <AMYB -at- IPRAX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 13:54:25 -0500

A question raised by Lee's recent message--

<5. I suggest you check out the SGML Standard (ISO 8879). SGML is
<specifically intended to solve the problem of using the same document
<for more than one purpose. SGML is particularly good at doing paper +
<web for many reasons -not least of which is that HTML is an application
<of SGML.

Has anyone done any work with SGML for online documentation (i.e.
*.HLP files)? I'm looking for a good single-source solution which will
allow us to move to Web-based help sometime in the near future. I've
heard SGML is great for paper and web, but I'm not sure about online.
I've checked some of the SGML websites but they've told me little about
online documentation.