Re: Sanity check

Subject: Re: Sanity check
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 07:23:54 PDT

--- David Hailey <FAHAILEY -at- WPO -dot- HASS -dot- USU -dot- EDU> wrote:

>BUT (excuse me for shouting) it seems to me that important
>secondary purposes include things such comforting,
>encouraging; convincing the user that the software
>developer, the software, and the user are all members on a
>highly successful team.

Most of the published literature I've seen does
not address the comforting, encouraging, convincing
issues at all. At best, an oblique reference to
reassuring the novice user (in the context of
audience analysis) suffices. (If anyone's
seen anything along these lines, I'd greatly
appreciate a reference).

However, I wonder if this isn't a significant
issue for technical communicators -- not only
should the docs be good and easy to use, but they
should ALSO address the less-tangible needs of
the readers.

Eric