Re: sanity check. a little long

Subject: Re: sanity check. a little long
From: Ron Rhodes <rrhodes -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 19:09:27 -0400

Dave,

0:::::::Dave wrote::::::::::::::::::::::::
Effective writing will provide the user with the best
information in the best configuration, but will also apply
rhetorical tools toward establishing a lasting, friendly,
and professional relationship with the user.
0:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I agree with you. I write tech-doc for several different audiences.
The more novice the audience, the more encouragement I tend to use.
For instance, if I write documentation for Microsoft Word, I use phrases
like "you can" do this if you click here. To me I think "you can" is an
effective subliminal message. Word like "easily" and phrases like "take
control of the merge" also seem to be quite effective.

I also tend to show a novice the easiest way to do things, even though
it may not be the fastest.

If I write for advanced audience, like NetWare documentation, I tend to
be very straight forward and matter-of-fact. And I usually show them
the fastest way to do things.

Hope this helps

Ron Rhodes
Senior Technical Writer