Re: Manuals Written in Non-American English

Subject: Re: Manuals Written in Non-American English
From: s_dale <s_dale -at- CBLTECH -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 15:34:03 GMT

Hi,
I hail from across the (not a) pond (the Atlantic for those who are not in
North America or Britain - another culture thing) so I shall offer you my
comments. (I have also worked quite a lot in the USA.)

I disagree with your point 5 - see above example.
Don't make up any words! I should hope not! Although I have heard and used
"functionality" so much that I can no longer remember the alternative!
I can't imagine why you would want to use "pastrami and sauerkraut on brown
pumpernickel" in technical writing!
I don't know if you can patent a list but it would be a useful one. Of course,
there are also all the different words used which many people know already:
fender=bumper
truck=boot and so on for car parts
and some more obscure and subtle ones:
do you know what a fortnight is? (2 weeks=14 nights)
I have observed that Americans use "also" much more often than the British, who
say "too", although this may be a regional thing.
licence (US) could be licence or license (ditto practice)

I wonder if the British-English writers are more aware than Americans of the
differences, because more films are American than British and more
spell-checkers are too! I find it a fascinating subject.

PS. leave out the football (yawn), sorry soccer!

--
Regards
Sue Dale