FrameMaker = The One?

Subject: FrameMaker = The One?
From: Eric Haddock <eric -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 13:25:40 -0500

I hear FrameMaker mentioned all the time here on the list. I keep hearing
about it but somehow I've never met anyone who used it so I have never seen
it myself.

My company's considering moving toward something a little more
comprehensive--a single program--and away from the word processor and
typesetting combination we're using now. We're still going to rely on
specialized programs for graphics but it's the word processing, page layout,
manual maintenance factor we're interested in.

So, is FrameMaker a good choice for one-stop shopping for technical
documents ranging from 15 to 100 pages long? Is it more flexible/easier to
use than a word processor like Word or WordPerfect as far as typesetting and
layout is concerned? Does it import graphic files OK?

We're also going to be putting our manuals in HTML and .PDF formats. I've
heard that FrameMaker can save as HTML, but that we'd need Adobe Acrobat Pro
to do the .PDF conversion. Anyway, does FrameMaker's self-HTML conversion
work OK?

What have your experiences been with it? Would you recommend it?

What are its plusses and minuses?

What should I beware of?

Reply privately, don't forget.

Many thanks!