Re: Unrecoverable Data Icon

Subject: Re: Unrecoverable Data Icon
From: Peter Gold <pgold -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 08:21:02 -0700

I believe on NeXT there is a deletion application called "Black Hole" and
its icon is a tornado-like vortex.

Depending on your OS, though, the true state of data treated by a delete
action may differ; specifically, on Macintosh and PC (DOS or Windows - not
sure about NT), deleting a file normally just marks its space available,
but does not delete data from the disk. If the deleted file's space is not
overwritten, it's possible to undelete or recover it. Unix, however, has
no such undelete-ability, as I understand it.

Perhaps this is an indication that the product needs an enhancement -
permanent deletion, or marking for deletion with a second step for permanent?

Regards,

Peter Gold
pgold -at- netcom -dot- com