Delete icon question

Subject: Delete icon question
From: Patty Ewy <pewy -at- ICONTROL -dot- ANZA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 10:55:01 -0600

Hello all--

First of all, apologies to those of you also on the copyediting list;
yup, I got the two crossed and should've posted this here-not-there.
(This is the _third_ time I've done this today. Yikes!!)

________

Regarding the discussion of the use of a trashcan icon when data
recovery isn't possible--

My first icon idea was a trash truck (because your data is further along
the disposal process than the trash can) but on second thought, maybe
that wouldn't be intuitive enough for your users.

But it was fun for a giggle...

Anyway, I am not sure that you really need to ditch the trashcan icon.
We use it for "delete" in our software, too. We have a preference that
lets users determine if a dialog box ("Are you sure you want to do
this?") appears after they delete something. Even if we didn't, I
think the trashcan icon is OK because the trashcan never has that
"stuffed" look that the Mac trashcan gets when you delete something. I
think it's the stuffed look that lets you know you can still retrieve
the data or file or whatever.

My two cents.

Patty Ewy
pewy -at- icontrol -dot- anza -dot- com