Marketing control of documentation (Was: Reorganization Question)

Subject: Marketing control of documentation (Was: Reorganization Question)
From: Jim Grey <jimgrey -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 08:38:00 EST

Robert Plamondon said:
> In an ordinary company, with ordinary engineers with ordinary attitudes,
> Tech Pubs should be part of Marketing or (in some cases) Sales.

To which Dan Martillotti <danm -at- DEV -dot- TIVOLI -dot- COM> replied:
>I couldn't disagree more (sorry Robert). While marketing has a vested
>interest in what is discussed in the documentation, they should never
>control it. All you would end up with would be a 200 page book of fluff.
>I think marketing should have input and should review the material, but
>they should never control the content.

I wouldn't want to fall under Marketing in *this* company for exactly the
reason you cite, Dan. However, there *are* some clued-in marketing
departments for which working as a tech writer would be quite agreeable.
Such marketeers work to understand -- and, more importantly, will *research*
-- what it takes to satisfy the customer. Then they apply what they know.
A tech writer riding that wave can do some awesome stuff.

Peace,
jim

--
jim grey |"Ain't nothin' better in the world, you know
jimgrey -at- iquest -dot- net|Than lyin' in the sun, listenin' to the radio!"