Re: Editing comments too harsh?

Subject: Re: Editing comments too harsh?
From: Jim Grey <jimgrey -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 09:24:00 EST

Vanessa L. Wilburn (vlwilburn -at- cpu -dot- com) asked:
>What do you do to *not* tread too heavily on engineer egos?

Here's what works for me:

Phrase your statements and queries to focus on the reader. "I'm not sure the
reader will understand what you mean by ______. Can you clarify?" This helps
keep the author from feeling like it's you vs. him/her.

Don't try to teach effective writing or proper grammar and usage in your
edits. Just make the corrections and query, "I think my changes will make
this paragraph easier for users to understand. OK?" If the author questions
such an edit, then give him or her the reason.

Peace,
jim
--
jim grey |"Ain't nothin' better in the world, you know
jimgrey -at- iquest -dot- net|Than lyin' in the sun, listenin' to the radio!"