list of schools...

Subject: list of schools...
From: Janet Renze <jrenze -at- CGN -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 17:33:59 -0500

Here's my 2cents on the program at Iowa State University
http://www.engl.iastate.edu

I graduated May 1995 from the MA program in Business and
Technical Communication. I felt really prepared for life as a tech
writer because the courses in general tech comm, editing,
manuals, and proposals were taught by great instructors and
we had a TON of projects which built my confidence and made
for a marvelous portfolio ;) Iowa State also has a PhD program
in Rhetoric and Professional Communication--most of the PhD
types I knew were deep into theory and had no desire to
get writing jobs. everyone who came close to finishing got great
tenure track positions, though!

I have heard the program was starting to become more
theoretical in general, which would be too bad (IMHO). I really
appreciated the "hands on" aspect of investigating a certain
area of technical communication--like proposals or manuals.
guess graduate school is really what you make of it--if you
want technical experiences you can certainly find them!

good luck!
Janet Renze
jrenze -at- cgn -dot- org