What to edit??

Subject: What to edit??
From: Ted Heatherington <THeather -at- ALPHA -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:59:00 PDT

On the subject of "on-line" versus hardcopy editting:

While I do a lot of editting On-Line, I am also the only writer in our
Canadian office, so I find I need to do alternating rounds of
paper/screen editting. Lets face it, we all hate those review copies
that have the repeated words, spelling and punctuation errors, and all
the "I should have seen that..." corrections caught by someone else.
Since the reason we generally miss them is we stare at the same stuff
too long, I find leaving a piece alone for a day or so (when I can) is
useful; when I can't, I "change the mode" from screen to paper and do
it that way. Like Eric, changing >where< you're working also helps; I
take a coffe and go outside, or do a long lunch over a manuscript at a
coffee shop. I have found a half our edit Saturday afternoon gets far
more success than several hours Friday afternoon, too :)

Ted

>Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 13:50:04 -0500
>From: Eric Haddock <eric -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>
>Subject: Re: Editing comments too harsh?

>I have a question that was sparked by all this reference to
>colors of ink. Does everyone edit hard copy only or do some
>of you edit online?

> I would go blind if I edited online. Totally blind. It's
>hard copy 100% for me.

> We don't have a recycling program here for paper, so what
>I do is keep all I can get and I cut it myself into scratch
>paper pads. Works very well--I've been doing it for years.
>I use the full-size sheets for a variety of things like
>drawing logos, icons, and whatnot.

> My desk is next to a 15' x 24' window. There's so much
>natural light it's like being outside so text on paper shows
>up very well. In fact, I argued to be put next to the window
>so I could proofread.

>-- Eric (^_^)

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-