Music to My Ears

Subject: Music to My Ears
From: Moshe Koenig <alsacien -at- NETVISION -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 02:09:35 PDT

Say what you will, but to me, the revelation that I am among so many
other former musicians and musical wannabees is a great comfort. I
cannot tell you how many times I have felt the withering stare of
disdain when I had to "explain away" my undergraduate years. To be
honest, the Eastman School of Music was a very difficult experience,
one that I cannot say was all pleasant. Still, I went on to work as
a professional musician with no small amount of success for years.
What broke me? Money, what else? It didn't matter how much people
admired my playing; it didn't pay the bills, and people thought I
was a deadbeat. It's a bit of that deadbeat mentality that went with
me when I moved into banking, then into import-export, and ultimately
into translations, editing, and writing, with technical writing being
the last phase of the last step!

Remember Dolly Levi's remark in The Matchmaker: "If you're going to
live from hand to mouth, you'd better be ambidextrous!" So be it, and
I am, in more ways than one. Despite the winding road, I still enjoy
what I do, so as far as I'm concerned, that's good enough.

- Moshe

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-