Re: Periods After Whole Numbers

Subject: Re: Periods After Whole Numbers
From: Joanna Sheldon <cjs10 -at- CORNELL -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 10:53:08 -0400

Brad --

> > My supervisor insists on putting periods after whole numbers. For
>> example, he writes "200. kg" rather than just "200 kg". I find this
>> rather weird; I'd not seen this usage before coming to work here. I
>> asked him if a lawyer had recommended it. He replied that he *thought*
>> so, which tells me that he got it from folklore somewhere. (I've been
>> corrected so many times over the last 2-1/2 years that I've given up
>> trying.)
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this usage? Is there a legal reason (i.e.,
>> recommended, or dictated, by a lawyer) for doing this?

>Accountants use this method. Over the past 10 years, I've had two
>accountants, and they both put periods after whole dollars when filling
>out my tax forms.

So do I, when filling out my tax forms. Yes, it's used in accounting all
the time. That has nothing to do with the way it's used in text, though. I
have never seen it used in text, nor is such usage prescribed in the Chicago
Manual (mine's at work -- maybe someone else could check theirs).

Joanna

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-