Re: Ending a sentence with a preposition (#897726)

Subject: Re: Ending a sentence with a preposition (#897726)
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 14:10:53 GMT

I sense an opportunity to provide some fusion for this thread and the
profanity thread. Since I always like to provide service when I can to
the TW community, here goes.

A young bumpkin from North Carolina is accepted as a freshman at
Harvard. During his first week on campus, he attempts, unsuccessfully,
to locate the library. He approaches a group of upper-classmen, and
inquires, "Hey, do you know where the library is at?"

The upper-classmen regard the young freshman with complete disdain. One
of them replies, "Sir, you are now a Harvard student. At Harvard,
students do *not* end a sentence with a preposition. I hear they do that
at Yale. Do you understand me?"

The freshman thinks for a moment, then says, "Ahhh, I think I see. Ok,
let me try again. Do you know where the library is at, ASSHOLE?"

Luckily, my credibility on this list has been shot for years, so this
little indulgence shouldn't hurt me any. ;-)
--
Len Olszewski My opinions; you go get your own.
saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com