A bunch of comments

Subject: A bunch of comments
From: "Bailey, Doug S" <dsbailey -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 08:49:13 -0500

ROLLBACK.EXE:

> I mentioned on this list that a 'documentation bug' had allegedly led to

> hold on distribution of Windows NT4.

> I'm told that Microsoft managed to accidentally ship the software with a
> program called rollback.exe.

Funny, I just installed 4.0 and ROLLBACK.EXE is nowhere to be found.

--------------------------------------
"The Telephone System":

That phrase is in no way any kind of an official title. Perhaps it is
in
the UK, but it isn't anywhere else that I know of. That is itself
enough
reason to *not* capitalize it.

-----------------------
Web vs. radio:

World Wide Web is a name of a specific thing, and the Web is an
abbreviated form of that name. As such, both should be capitalized.

>>However, The Web IS The World Wide Web.
>There isn't a _the_ web just like there isn't a _the_ radio.

I disagree completely. THE Web is an accurate way to refer
to it. This is a marked difference between the WWW and
radio, and is enough of a reason to justify capitalizing one
but not the other. There *is* a "the Web" unlike a "the
radio".

>That's part of my point--the web and internet are now common nouns.

But they are also titles, names, and as such they must be capitalized.

>proper noun = The official name of a particular person, place, or thing; for
>example, _Ellen,_ _San Diego,_ _Wednesday._ Proper nouns are capitalized.

I think you just made my point for me. The Web is a PARTICULAR
medium, whereas radio is a GENERAL medium. AM, FM, shortwave...
it's all radio. FTP, Telnet, Gopher, none of these things are WWW.

Doug
dsbailey -at- ingr -dot- com