Re: Obsession with University Degrees?

Subject: Re: Obsession with University Degrees?
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 08:23:00 -0600

Does that mean some brilliant tech writer or someone who has had
novels published or whatever is banned from the job simply because of
a lack of University qualifications?

In many cases, yes. You fail to appreciate one of the main points of the
American psyche. We, as a nation, are lazy. It was that very laziness which
drove us to be inventive (and which fuels the countless get rich quick
pyramid schemes floating around).

Requiring a college degree is simply the lazy man's way of approaching the
hiring process. It reduces the number of potential hires without the
recruiter having to expend any effort determining whether the applicant in
question has any ability at all. Sure, we rationalize it in a hundred
different ways, but at heart it's simply that we don't care to expend the
time and effort finding out whether a given applicant is qualified, so we
erect some arbitrary barriers to reduce the workload.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224