Requirement for Academic Degree

Subject: Requirement for Academic Degree
From: Daniel Wise <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 21:04:05 -0700

Colleagues,

Yvonne Harrison asks why so many employers ask for a college degree.
Simple. It is a form of certification. I am not sure what it certifies,
but IMHO, that is why they want it.

Several times in my career my degree in Industrial Administration was the
deciding factor is whether I was qualified for a technical writing/editing
job. Of course, IAd has no more to do with technical writing than does
underwater basket weaving, but a degree in *something* was required.

I have also worked for a company that refused to interview a candidate I had
worked with previously and vouched for enthusiastically just because he had
no degree.

So we hired the scarecrow. We all know he got a degree.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com