Period, space: 1 or 2?

Subject: Period, space: 1 or 2?
From: "Higgins, Lisa R." <eilrh -at- EXCHANGE -dot- WCC -dot- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 18:09:00 -0400

>The basic function of the period is to indicate the end of one
>sentence and the beginning of another. Sentences are units which
>contain "a thought" (Please, let's refrain from opening a debate on
>this philosophical problem).

The punctuation period is derived from the other kind of period. That
is, it represents having come full circle. That is why periods are
little dots.

Your definition is accurate.

>In light of the above, I submit that the one-two space question is not
>a question at all, but an answer. The use of one or two (or three or
>more) spaces after a period can be a tool to indicate how closely the
>following sentence is related to the one before.

I like this idea. I'm not sure it would be horribly useful for the
reader, as I can't even tell how many spaces are between words, and I'm
a Professional Communicator.

But as a tool for the writer, I'm all for anything that can drag you out
of a rut. (I once wrote a whole manual in E-Prime, even.) A lot of
software won't allow this, though.

>Think about it: There is so little p'zaz in technical writing.
>Here's one tiny way that a little subjective creativity can be snuck
>in without compromising clarity, but, in fact, enhancing it. (It'll
>also put an end to the one-two space debate!)

Right. It'll Balkanize it into the new one-two-three-variable space
debate.

I think that debate needs its own list, anyway.

>Bruce [Brill]
>Bruce Brill

>Bruce Brill

Lisa [Higgins] eilrh -at- ei -dot- lucent -dot- com
Lisa Higgins [Lisa] Higgins

Lisa-Higgins

YOU SUNK MY BATTLESHIP!!!