Re: Making up user names

Subject: Re: Making up user names
From: Wolf Lahti <wduby -at- PACCAR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 06:59:55 -0700

Dick Pacholke said

>I use "Dale Arden" as the username whenever possible. Dale Arden is Flash
>Gordon's girlfriend; so the name is fictitious and cross-gender.

Then Kent Newton said

>It's probably also copyrighted and trademarked, opening your company up
>to an infringement suit. I'd try to stay away from any well-known
>names, fictitious or not.

Whether or not using well-known fictitious names is a good idea, names cannot
be copyrighted.

This does not mean, however, that you can use Superman as the name of your
next comic-book hero because that name has been trademarked.

Not sure about Clark Kent. Or Dale Arden, for that matter.

"I hate quotations!" Wolf Lahti
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson Allen, Washington
wduby -at- paccar -dot- com wolf-lahti -at- usa -dot- net