Re: Use of Periods in Phone Numbers?

Subject: Re: Use of Periods in Phone Numbers?
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:55:44 -0700

At 12:17 PM 9/25/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello, listies:

>I've gotten involved in a disagreement about the style in which phone
>numbers in a newsletter are to be written. The senior editor has
>instructed that all phone numbers are to be written "111.111.1111". I
>would prefer to see the more conventional style, "111-111-1111".

Nancy, what justification does the editor offer for this convention? Is it
reasonable justification? Can the editor back up the justification with
research or usability testing?

My decision to change from the standard convention would be based purely on
the outcome of a usability test with a large sampling of readers from your
customary audience. This would require lots of $$$--is it worth it? For a
phone number?

Regards...Kris
kjolberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (preferred)
kjolberg -at- aol -dot- com
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
102031 -dot- 3556 -at- compuserve -dot- com
s -dot- othoudt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net