Re: since

Subject: Re: since
From: Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- OILFIELD -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 08:39:45 -0500

Lisa asked:
>Speaking of pet peeves . . . using 'since' to show the reason for
>something happening instead of (what I think to be) the correct word
>'because'?

YES!!! And don't forget the similar misuse of "while," which also has time
connotations. I usually substitute "whereas" or recast and use "although,
"but," "and," etc.

Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- OILFIELD -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Schlumberger Oilfield Marketing Services
225 Schlumberger Drive, Sugar Land, TX 77478
(713)275-7563, fax -8545