Re[4]: Looking for Copyright info

Subject: Re[4]: Looking for Copyright info
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 15:35:15 GMT

> download a graphic, then use it as the template to design a new graphic
> of your own. That way, you stay legal

Actually, that is illegal as well. What you have done is create a
derivative work. See this month's Publish article about the COREL Draw
contest winner getting sued over an illustration based on a photograph.
Look, save yourself the trouble and do your own work. If you can't draw, an
illustrator can get it done in about two hours if you know what you want.

<<

I think you misunderstand, though I haven't seen the article you mention. I
don't read Publish.

I don't mean that you should open the picture and edit it, or copy the
work, just that you follow the ideas in a general way!

If anyone thinks that this is copyright theft, perhaps they'd care to drive
on the other side of the road to avoid risking infringing the copyright of
people who stick to the usual arrangement.

The UK copyright laws are not the same as the US ones. I think that they
are stricter about copying a design here.

Iain

(who lives where we <I>all</I> drive on the other side of the road!)